Marshall County Schools Home Page Banner

JM Freshman Wins WV First Lady’s Essay Contest

First Lady Cathy Justice is happy to announce the winners of the “Wonderful West Virginia Mother’s Day Essay Contest.” The First Lady received 280 essays and was excited and impressed with the young writing talent in West Virginia:

“The Governor and I are thrilled with the response to the ‘Wonderful West Virginia Mother’s Day Essay Contest.’  The quality of essays written by our 9th and 10th grade students from all over the state was very impressive.  But, I am not surprised.  West Virginia is filled with many talented young people and our future is bright.  I also know this……West Virginia 9th and 10th graders sure love their Mothers!   I’m proud of all who participated, and I can’t wait for our next contest, which we will announce this fall.”

Due to the incredible number of submissions, the Governor and First Lady have decided to name 10 essay winners.

The first place winner is John Marshall High School freshman Kealyn McCardle. She was encouraged by her English teacher Josie Mentzer to enter the contest. McCardle wrote her essay about prominent women in her life such as her mother and teachers.

She will receive a $100.00 gift card for her winning essay and has been invited to a reception hosted by the First Lady at the Governor’s Mansion.